CASTLEOS FORUM

TommyLong

all messages by user

8/24/2014
Topic:
Energy Eye settings

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I have just set up a motion sensor as a trigger to activate a ToggleLinc switch to turn on an outdoor floodlight.
I have setup energy eye with the motion detector as the sensor and to turn off ToggleLinc after 10 minutes of inactivity.
This works fine. As long as I keep the motion detector triggering, the light stays on.

My old floodlight itself had a motion detector with a timer, but it also had a timer bypass capability.
You turned the floodlight on, then off, then back on in succession within a couple of seconds and it stayed on until you manually turned it off regardless of the motion detector. Is this possible to do in CastleOS? I can envision a way to do this; that is if the ToggleLinc was turned on but not triggered by a motion sensor event, it would not start a timer.
8/26/2014
Topic:
Protocol & Device Support Suggestions

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Honeywell WiFi Thermostat support?
10/6/2014
Topic:
Insteon hub connection

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi I have an Insteon Hub that has devices linked to it and it has worked fine with CastleOS. My question is, does it matter that my Insteon devices linked to the Hub instead of CastleOS?
10/26/2014
Topic:
Bug with Sunset scheduled event

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Sunset Times does not appear to update over time.
I setup an event to turn devices on X minutes before sunset. Over a course of a couple of weeks, the devices still come on at the same clock time. Looking at the Configuration.xml, the nextScheduledRunTime updates itself for the next day, but its clock time stays the same.
11/23/2014
Topic:
4-way (3-Switch) Setup

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi
Looking for advice on setting up 3 Insteon micro-modules in a 4-way circuit (3 switch arrangement) for use with CastleOS.

After studying the Insteon Owner's manual for micromodule and ToggleLinc,
one Insteon device (call it device #1) is the one connected to the load (in this case my kitchen lights) and is the one controlling the load on or off.
The traveler circuits are disconnected and no longer used. This means #2 and #3 can only control the load by using Insteon on/off commands
sent to device#1.
The setup is for device #1 to act as a responder, with the other two Insteon devices #2 & #3 acting as Controllers.

Insteon Manual(s) discusses keeping all three devices "in sync". Its a little hard to follow but appears that the follow additional setup is needed:
- device #1 acting also as a Controller with #2 and #3 acting as responders.
I suppose in order to allow #1 to tell both #2 and #3 that its switch was toggled and what the new state of the load is (on or off).
- device #2 acting as controller with device #1 and #3 acting as responders.
I suppose in order to allow #2 to tell both #1 and #3 its on off command it just requested
- device #3 acting as controller with device #1 and #2 acting as responders.
I suppose in order to allow #3 to tell both #1 and #2 its on or off command it just requested
This seems to make sense such that when someone toggles the switch of device #2/3, the device knows whether to send
the opposite command (on or off) to device#1 depending on whether the load was previously off or on respectively.
In the case of ToggleLinc, it also allows all three devices to turn their LEDs on or off in sync depending on whether the load is off or on.

What I'm not completely sure yet is how CastleOS works in this arrangement.
I can certainly see CastleOS as Controller and linking with device#1 as responder.
But what does CastleOS need to be setup for concerning devices #2 and #3?
11/24/2014
Topic:
4-way (3-Switch) Setup

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi Chris,
One interesting feature of the micro-module is its "3-Way Toggle Mode" that is probably useful in this case. In this mode, the micro module
doesn't use the switches "up" or "down" position per se. Instead it detects a change say flipping the switch
from up to down or down to up as a trigger to change the load (in this case a light) to its opposite state. As an example, if you flip the switch to "on" and the light comes on, then use CastleOS to tell the micro-module
to turn the light off, then flipping the switch to the "off" position the micro module will actually turn the light back on.
This is of course confusing if wired as a 2-way switch as I found out where one wants the switch's "on" position to mean "on",
but one can disable the 3-way toggle mode.
But in a 4-way setup and by being in Sync with the other micro-modules while in this 3-way toggle mode, it may actually work out.
11/24/2014
Topic:
Can't add group

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I have run into this as well a couple of months ago, but in the process of chasing it down it managed to fix itself. It seemed to be related to two browser sessions being open from different devices.
12/5/2014
Topic:

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi Chris,
I see that WINK has support for Honeywell WiFi Thermostats....does this mean Honeywell has now released their APIs?
12/13/2014
Topic:
4-way (3-Switch) Setup

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
HI Chris, I finally got back to this project and after examining my house wiring, I determined I actually could get by with only one micro-module instead of one for every switch in the N-Way switch path. So I didn't need to setup all these micro-modules to be both a responder and a controller with each other. I did however make use of the micro module's "3-way Toggle Mode". I placed the micro-module at the switch box that had Line, Load and Neutral. The switch itself in this box was the "head" of the N-Way switch path and the N-Way switch path simply provides an open or closed loop circuit. I simply used the micro-module's "sense" line to sense a change in state in the loop circuit (open to closed or closed to open). In 3-way Toggle Mode, the micro-module changes its state (light on to light off or light off to light on), whenever the it senses a change in the loop circuit. So I can go to any switch in the N-Way switch path and flip a switch (causing a change in the loop circuit's state) and the lights turn on or off accordingly.
12/16/2014
Topic:
Events not firing

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I had an event last night not fire. I checked configuration.xml file and many of my events show nextscheduledruntime to now be set for tomorrow at 7:22am....which seems to be around Sunrise. These are not the times I have setup. Its weird because I go to the CastleOS Menu and all the events are listed at the correct times.
12/20/2014
Topic:
Events not firing

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Events are working fine now, thanks
12/22/2014
Topic:
Events not firing

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Yes, I too would like to see this fixed. But in the process don't break say events that are edited to fire say at 1:00am which is the next day (this currently works).
12/29/2014
Topic:
IRLinc Transmitter Support

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi Chris,
Does CastleOS support the IRLinc Transmitter?
http://www.smarthome.com/irlinc-transmitter-insteon-2411t-insteon-to-ir-converter.html

I would like to turn my AV system on as part of a Scene, and IR is the only way to control it.
1/10/2015
Topic:
Extending Event's "End Date" for long durations

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi Chris,
Is it possible to configure an Event's "End Date" to be "forever" or at least something like 10 years? A few releases back, the End Date was completely configurable, but it seems now with the "dials", one can only configure the "End Date" to be no more than the next year.
1/10/2015
Topic:

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi Chris, I see also that Logitech's Harmony also supports the Honeywell WiFi Thermostat. I'm doubtful that Honeywell will open their APIs to the public anytime soon. Could you contact Honeywell about making some sort of private arrangement to get access to their APIs?
2/8/2015
Topic:
IRLinc Transmitter Support

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hey Tommy, that's in development and coming soon! We'll support than and several other IR transmitters. Sorry for the wait!

-Chris

Hi Chris,
an update.... I'd skip the IRLinc Transmitter. I played with it a few weeks ago and one of the bigger issues is that it does not save its settings and they are lost after a power reset. However I have been playing with the Global Cache GC-100-06 (along with the iRule App to control it) and the GC works very well and does save its settings.
3/2/2015
Topic:
Recommended USB to Cat5/5E/6 extenders for Kinect?

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi Mike, some time back I made a note about a USB extender over Cat5e from ICRON called the USB Ranger2101. But its like $300 . Here is the link on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqsbz0YLJkw
3/2/2015
Topic:
Kinect Tests and Observations

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I ran the Kinect through a couple dozen voice tests with the log viewer on. I wanted know what was going on when things didn't perform.

I ran the tests over about a 30 minute period of time, often using "Computer, What Time Is It?" or "Computer What is the Temperature Outside?" as well as "Computer such-n-such lights On" or "off", "Computer, run such-n-such script", "Computer, run one of several t.v. commands like tune to channel 5".
I gave about 1 minute in between commands. No background noise at all. I stood about 3-6 feet away.
I used the v1 Kinect 360 on a Castle OS MiniComputer W8.1 that is used only for Kinect; nothing else. The Castle Server is on another computer.
I use a small compact speaker with its own built in amp that is plugged into the MiniComputer using analog I/O.

Here are some of my findings:
- Kinect got very good hits except could not recognize "five".
It came back with things like "five-oh", "five-oh-nine", and even one saying "time remaining".
- One time when asked "What Time Is It?" it was of course suppose to play the time over the speakers but did not.
The Logs revealed it did indeed speak the time.
Why didn't it any sound come out?
- "Success" wav file either not playing or just get a click. It is puzzling why most of the commands (>75%) that get a hit end up
end up playing over the speakers either just a click or sometimes just silence. Chris any ideas why?
- Many of the commands (those that don't involve turning lights on and off) have one or more extra logs show up. Every one had
either T.V. xx or teevee xx in them with a low to medium confidence. The extra logs show up around 20-40ms later.
Chris, this shouldn't be happening should it?

Other observations made over several months of use:
- Many times "on" is mistaken for "off". I've had to train my voice a little to help out.
- After Kinect has been idle for a long period of time, when a command is used, it results in a hit of around 50-75%.
- Hits in general, I perceive to be around 60-75% for commands it easily recognizes.
Some commands like asking the computer for the forecast for the next 5 days is more like 20%.
Over Christmas I used "Tree Lights On/Off", its hit rate was 0%.
It has good days and not so good days.
- About once a week, the "success" chime will play without being prompted by anyone talking in the room
- Finally, I did experience bad hit rates when the speaker I used, which is powered by USB, was itself powered
by the MiniComputer. The speakers had a slight humming noise, and one could hear 1 sec ticks as well. I finally
changed the speaker to being powered elsewhere and the hit rates went up a lot.
3/3/2015
Topic:

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Any ideas why the "success" wav file doesn't play to completion with just clicks instead?
3/3/2015
Topic:

Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Hi Chris, A click is what I hear coming out of the speaker. It is a dull click of very short duration, probably around 100ms.
1234 ..11