philhawthorne

all messages by user

4/1/2015
Topic:
Protocol & Device Support Suggestions

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Andrey Danchenko wrote:

Do you have any plans to support Sesame Smart lock?
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1425492550/sesame-your-key-reinvented

+1 for this. However I'm not sure how open Sesame are to other developers. They have an open source API as one of their stretch goals, but not sure this will be reached. They also don't really want to integrate with services like IFTTT or any smart hub really.
4/2/2015
Topic:
API

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
I'm looking forward to getting on board the CastleOS, and losing my bank balance to the home automation addiction.

As a web developer, I work a lot with REST API's, which run over HTTP.

I would really like to be able to extend the features of CastleOS with a REST API if possible. I haven't downloaded CastleOS yet to play with, but ideally I'd like to know:

1. Can CastleOS call external HTTP API's, or be taught how to? I'll take a look at the scripting tools available, but I've never created something in C. Some ideas that could be used include the "fluffy" ones like "post a tweet" or read Facebook status. But with HTTP API's there's a lot that can be done.
2. Can CastleOS be manipulated by a HTTP API? For example. a local webserver calling CastleOS via HTTP to turn on lights or the TV?

The only slight mention I found was in a previous topic, but it hasn't had much activity: http://www.castleos.com/forum/topic13-open-api.aspx
4/9/2015
Topic:
API

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:

Hey Phil! CastleOS has a built in WCF and REST API. It's discoverable and annotated.

So is this available in CastleOS v1.2.1375? I can't see any mention of it inside the software, the how-to guides or a Google search (which this thread is the top result for). How does one discover these discoverable APIs?1.2.1375

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
There's more detail on the feature pages about the upcoming changes to the API. The current API supports interacting with the Core Service - in fact all of our own UIs use the API, so it's all that is needed to build a full GUI or do anything else.

Are you referring to this page, mentioning an update due in February? http://castleos.com/FeatureSpotlight.aspx?feature=CustomScripting

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
The changes that will be coming with CastleOS 2.0 and the CastleHUB will allow for the creation of virtual devices and protocols. This will allow any HTTP call to be made outbound, or received inbound.

Do you have any screenshots of this new CastleOS that will ship with the CastleHub? With shipments of CastleHub due in about 8 weeks time, you must be on the tail-end of this new version, so should have something you can show us. It would be nice to know this new version actually exists.
4/9/2015
Topic:
API

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hey Phil, the WCF API has been there since the beginning, the REST API was added a few months ago to support our Android App development. Both are available in the version you have downloaded. To discover the services, you can use any web service explorer and point it to CastleOS on your machine: http://localhost/CastleOS/service?wsdl You can also put that address in your web browser to see the raw XML if you'd like.

Perfect thanks! I'll give that a go. Is there a /help endpoint or anything I can use to see the annotations?

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
The Custom Scripting as an Action is in testing now, and will be in the next release. We do currently have the Custom Scripting as a voice command.

There seems to be a lot of "crossover" between the Core service, and voice addons. I'll add another thread about this, as it does need to be cleaned up IMO.

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
The cumulation of the Release Candidates is the version 2.0 release. Next up, in addition to the custom scripting as an action, is support for the TCP Connected protocol, among others. We'll be continually updating the software as we work towards the CastleHUB release this summer.

Awesome. A bit nit picky, but in a lifecycle, wouldn't the features that were going to be in 2.0 be finalized, before getting to a "release candidate" stage? Sounds like the software is still in development, and the "release candidates" you're releasing are bleeding edge feature builds.

MrMxyzptlk wrote:
Pushy, Pushy. I hear where you are going with this Phil. I too am very skeptical on the timeline, especially when you look at past threads and missing promised dates continually. I'm taking a calculated risk by backing the hub and running the software, as I feel that Microsoft probably has some skin in the game on this project...I guess only time will tell.

Sorry - I don't mean to be rude. I'm really excited about this product, and I want to help out as best I can. Programming and automation has always been a big passion of mine, so if I can help out in any way possible for the right product I will. However the past threads on the forum don't exactly give you anything to write home about just yet. But I think this product has a lot of potential, and I'm very excited for it.
4/9/2015
Topic:
Wiki Pages

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
As a new user, looking for information about how to use CastleOS is a bit hit-and-miss. For some things, you need to look in the how-to guides of the forum. For other things, you need to look at the individual features highlight page on the website. For some specific features (like how to control Plex), you need to use a combination of Google and black magic to dig up a forum post that mentions what voice commands to use.

I think it would be good to have a Wiki for CastleOS. Something that the public can edit, so the users of CastleOS can help out and write instructions on how to do things. A good example of this in action would be the XBMC/Kodi wikis, which have a lot of information.
4/9/2015
Topic:
Every feature should be a core feature

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
I am a plex user, and was excited to see castleOS have support for it.

I've installed the core service, but the media area in castleOS is locked until the feature is finished. I was confused. How can someone claim to have support for Plex but the entire feature not be done yet?

Then after some time searching the internets, I discovered that Plex/XBMC control is only available if you install the KInect addon.

Instead, I think these integrations should all be included in the core service, This way, scenes can be integrated with Plex, XBMC, so you may have a party scene which turns on the sound system, XBMC, and plays a party playlist for music on the stereo, while dimming the lights etc.

The kinect voice addon should be just for that - voice control. All the commands you can do with Kinect should be generated by the core service. So if I want to say "Play music", the voice addon just tells the core castleOS to run that command, as opposed to the voice addon doing all the logic behind it.
4/9/2015
Topic:
Third-party script library/store

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
There's a lot of niche features that could be added. Every home is different.

Rather than CastleOS and other big companies deciding what we should use for our home automation, it would be good to see a library where third-parties can make it easy for CastleOS users to install addons. Need CastleOS to talk to your Chromestick? Want CastleOS to order you a pizza from Dominos? Want to get a notification when you get a new Whatsapp? There's a script for that.

The scripts don't need to be created by CastleOS. Infact, an open repositiory that makes it easy for users to discover scripts, and make their creations available for others would be good. You allude to this on the kickstarter page, but thought I'd still post it here as an idea, as I think this could really set CastleOS apart, and allow youi to leverage other developers who also share the same passion.
4/12/2015
Topic:

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Taria Deto wrote:
It seems like the term "script" is being used to combine "logic" and "device interface". A driver for a device like an alarm panel would make it visible to other parts of CastleOS's functionality, like in a Scene. This is a fairly common concept in other HA software. For example, a driver for an ELK alarm panel would minimally expose "arm away", "arm stay", and "disarm" to a Scene. I can then proceed to create a "Goodnight Scene" where all lights, except the porch light, are turned off, the front door is locked, and the alarm panel is set to "arm stay".

Yes - exactly! Sorry if my noob terminology is wrong. I think a combination of both scripts/apps that do a particular task, and drivers that can interact with CastleOS, and importantly CastleOS can interact with as well is ideal. So we definitely need the ability for others to make plugins. This would solve a lot of peoples custom requests. Need to support the new Sesame smartlock? Add a driver for it.

This also has the added benefit of separating the code, so that Zwave, X10, ZigBee all become drivers that use the same plugin framework, allowing CastleOS to ship leaner and faster, with people only installing drivers they need.

Assistive Tech Dad wrote:
imagine my house in the middle of the night and my daughter has a seizure. The house wakes me up and alerts me to what is going on. I then have a back and forth conversation with house; answering the house's questions, my answers being captured into a digital seizure log. After a set period of time the house asks if it is time to administer rescue medication or if I want the house to call 911 on speaker.

Definitely not a feature for every house, but a potential life saver in some.

A brilliant idea. One I hope can be made a possibility one day for you!

Taria Deto wrote:
Will the upcoming API allow 3rd parties to create drivers for devices to make them appear "native" within CastleOS like lights and locks and thermostats currently do?

I hope so.
4/13/2015
Topic:

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Just re-reading the Kickstarter page, there's this

CastleHub on Kickstarter wrote:
The API features complete access to the Core Service, including access to retrieve and manipulate all smart devices, groups, scenes, events, and more. In fact, it features everything you need to build a custom UI to interface with CastleOS, our own UIs use the same API!

Not only can you access the devices CastleOS supports, but you can expand CastleOS' compatibility by using our base device drivers to create your own custom device driver! Simply fill in the C# driver skeleton with a few custom functions, and drop the file in a folder! CastleOS will discover the driver and load it automatically. Want to share your custom driver with the community? Submit it to the community and it will be visible in an Extension Library that can be browsed from within the CastleOS app.

There's no screenshots or anything like that, but if the above turns out to be true this could be what we're after.
4/13/2015
Topic:

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
There are three distinct but related features: an API into the CastleOS system (complete today), a driver API for adding device and protocol support (about 60% complete as of today), and custom scripting (complete in the Kinect Service, coming very soon in the Core Service).

Do you have a rough timeframe for custom scripting coming to the core service? I'm waiting on my Kinect adapter to arrive before I can plunge into scripting, but can see in the future buttons etc that call a custom script.

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
We're currently in the process of building the new driver plugin API. Once complete, all the existing CastleOS drivers will be ported to the new format as well. Our goal is always to provide drivers for the "major" protocols and devices, but to allow support for the community to support any device they'd like as well.

For custom scripting, Phil is right our scripting is set apart from our competitors. We use C#, it's the most powerful scripting language there is. We can literally do anything with it. Right now you can fire a Custom script via a custom voice command, and soon you'll be able to do so as an action in an Event. That will be out by the end of the month.

This sounds very cool! Thanks for the update
4/15/2015
Topic:
Kinect v2 for Windows - Model Number

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Hey Tommy,

I've just got a Kinect v2 for Xbox One, with a PC adaptor. I'm on Windows 7, and just did a bit of Googling.

For the Kinect v2, looks like you need the SDK2.0, which requires Win 8. You'll also need a USB3.0 port, not USB 2.0. See here: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn782036.aspx

I'm going to wait for the CastleHub to test out the Kinect side of things, but let me know if installing SDK2.0 works for you.
4/23/2015
Topic:
Every feature should be a core feature

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:

We have plans for a new media/home theater focused UI builder app. Can't promise a release date yet, but it's in the works.

So for the forseable future, CastleOS won't support media control like pausing a video when a light gets turned on (for example). Or play a movie when a scene is started? We don't really need a UI to control these things, but the ability for CastleOS to talk to media devices, without needing our voice.
4/25/2015
Topic:
Hardware & setup for the newbie

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
T- Brad wrote:

If yes, hopefully the new app for Kinect 2 that you’re developing will also work with Windows 7?

Hey TB,

I've got the same adapter for the Kinect you linked to. I can confirm thats the right adapter for the Kinect v2.

In order for CastleOS and the Kinect to communicate, you need to install the Kinect SDK on your computer. However, the Kinect v2 requires the newest version of the Kinect SDK, which must be run on at least Windows 8.

TLDR You'll need Windows 8 for the Kinect v2 sensor to work. Only Kinect V1 will work on Windows 7
4/30/2015
Topic:
Z-Wave inconsistently responsive

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Hey Elias

Just for my own curiosity, what was the delay like with the other sensor. For example, if you opened a door, how quick did the light turn on?
4/30/2015
Topic:
Z-Wave inconsistently responsive

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Elias Hall wrote:
with the other software? It was instantaneous for all sensors. Aeon Labs: multi sensor, Recessed door and surface mount door sensors

Thanks!
5/5/2015
Topic:
Editing a schedule returns time to AM

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
When you edit a schedule of something in PM, for example 7:00pm, when you edit the schedule, the UI defaults back to AM, so you can accidentally save your schedule item as 7:00am
5/6/2015
Topic:
Schedules only support US date format

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
In Australia, and other parts of the world dates are formatted as dd/mm/yy as opposed to the US mm/dd/yy. This can cause problems when working out what this date is: 08/06/15

In CastleOS, I have created the following schedule

Event starts 6th of May 2015 12:00am. The datepicker in the edit screen picks this up correctly. However, when going back to view the scheduled item (and wondering why it didn't get triggered), I find that the view details of the scheduled item has changed to start from June 5th 2015. Going back into the edit screen of the event, has the datepicker set to May 6th, but saving always yields the event back to June 5th.

The same is true for August 1st, being set to January 8. The only workaround is to set a date to be the same day as the month number, so Jan 1, Feb 2, Mar 3, Apr 4 etc. Otherwise CastleOS reverses.

Dates should be stored in the backend in international formar such as ISO-8601 YYYY-MM-DD.
5/15/2015
Topic:
ImperiHome support

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
this looks very cool
5/17/2015
Topic:
help with my morning wake up weather script

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Ie something like Jarvis does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXH2K2ZlrjQ
5/17/2015
Topic:
Kinect v2 for Windows - Model Number

Phil Hawthorne
Phil Hawthorne
Hmm where did you read that it was only 32bit supported?

Microsoft wrote:
Windows 8.1 with Bing is based on the feature set available in Windows 8.1 Core and incudes all of the latest updates, including Windows 8.1 Update. Windows 8.1 with Bing is available for 32-bit and 64-bit platforms.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn613856.aspx
1234 ..20