LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

CastleOS opening blank webpage Messages in this topic - RSS

John Murrell
John Murrell

9/16/2016
John Murrell
John Murrell
I downloaded CastleOS and when I go to open the program it takes me to a blank webpage. I am on Windows 10 and google chrome is my default browser. I even tried changing the port which CastleOS uses from 8080 (the port is was defaulted to when I downloaded it) to a free port and got the same result. How would I fix this?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/16/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hey John, it appears something on your system is reserving exclusive access to port 80, blocking CastleOS. Your 8080 port is free, or else CastleOS wouldn't try to use it, but that's only for the web app. For the backend, the web service also uses port 80. Usually this is just fine, as it only reserves :80/CastleOS for the backend, which allows you to continue to use port 80 to host a website(s) or other serivices.

Unfortunately, not everyone plays nicely, and some apps reserve exclusive access even though they aren't using it. Apache is a good example of that.

So there are two ways to fix this: remove the offending app that is improperly blocking other apps from utilizing port 80, or change the CastleOS Core Service config to use a port other than 80. If you want to go that route, send me an open port number and I'll send you back some config files to use for it.
0 link
John Murrell
John Murrell

9/16/2016
John Murrell
John Murrell
Thanks it opened up when I found the other programs using port 80, but it is still opening in a web browser app, is this normal? The app works properly but just wanted to make sure there isnt supposed to be a regular app that opens on the computer.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/16/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
There is an app that runs on the computer, but the user interface is the web app. It communicates with the service that is running on the computer (and what is actually using port 80).
0 link
John Murrell
John Murrell

9/16/2016
John Murrell
John Murrell
Okay great! And how would I go about getting the mobile app?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/16/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Point your mobile browser (Safari?) to the IP address of the computer running CastleOS, or, if you've configured it for remote access via your router, to the IP address or domain name of your home. When it opens, press the browser menu, and then the Add to Homescreen option. This loads the web app into your phone and adds an icon for it to your homescreen.
0 link
Glen Kay
Glen Kay

11/20/2016
Glen Kay
Glen Kay
I am having a similar problem. I'm using the castlehub. I haven't used the hub for a while and restarted it. I can't access from my iPhone or browser. I connected a monitor/keyboard to the hub. When I click open castleos I get the blank page. What do I do? Thanks, Glen
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

11/20/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Glen, I replied to your direct message. I'll monitor that channel for updates. Thanks!!
0 link