CASTLEOS FORUM

tony2sugars

all messages by user

12/27/2014
Topic:
custom .wav file on castleos

tony john
tony john
Totally agree, I know Chris is busy, but I think his software and business would reach a lot more people if there were simple videos on "how to". I would like to see one on how to script, and have computer talk back to you or confirm a command.
12/29/2014
Topic:

tony john
tony john
The simple answer is, and simple for a computer software programmer to write would be for example...
Please write what question or statement you would like? E.g 'hi computer, how are you?'
Please write what the computer answer will be? E.g 'I'm doing quite fine thank you'

Now to start someone off like this, instead of finding the right answer and putting in "" your question, then saving it then trying to find it on your PC to answer the question/statement, would it be easier if a program was written into castleOs in the first place.
I'm sure all you coders would be able to create it?
Or is that to hard?
Simple is best!
12/31/2014
Topic:
Forum Suggestions

tony john
tony john
Totally agree with the 4 points brought to Chris's attention.
12/31/2014
Topic:

tony john
tony john
Hi Chris, have tried in vain to do what you just stated, getting nowhere to be honest.
Also the kinect replies to any voice command sporadically at best.
Really need video tutorials on how to do things like basic scripting, connecting a nas drive and voice controlling media on it and tv.
Regards Tony
1/1/2015
Topic:

tony john
tony john
Looking forward very much to your contributions Dominique Garcia, much appreciated.
1/13/2015
Topic:
The hard way

tony john
tony john
I am finding that castle os has been working 5% of the time. The sound system has to be manually changed every time I use the system because it reverts back to my tv (samsung) sound from the desired usb speakers. The kinect picks up my commands sporadically and then does not initiate them. There's no clear instructions on how to connect my nas drive to castle os. To be 100% honest, I'm not happy with it. I know Chris is working behind the scene and a few of us have asked for some simple videos, like YouTube tutorials. So I think I must take it on myself to learn to code because it will be the only way to get this system up and running. The system Chris is NOT novice friendly I'm afraid. So would someone please point me in the way of the best way to start coding... Would ruby on wheels be my first port of call?
Any help from the experts on here which I know there are a few would be greatly appreciated.
Humbly yours Tony
2/18/2015
Topic:
Video help and how to

tony john
tony john
Any time frame on when video tutorials will be released Chris please?
An idiots guide will do quite nicely! 😛
I believe many who are not experts in the field of home automation (vast potential customers)
Have been waiting long enough (sorry for bluntness).
Can we have a section in the forum for newbies and not experts where we can post simple questions and those with expert knowledge (yourself, am johns, Nick b, dominique Garcia) would if so kind
Answer in a simple way for us to understand.
I find that most what is written and some of the replies way over my head.
Thank you for your continued communication thru the forum and the answers that I can understand (few).
Regards Tony2sugars
2/26/2015
Topic:
Wonderful....but

tony john
tony john
Have supported and been interested in castle os for quite awile, I as you know have bought the software, have an insteon hub, lights and plugs.
I have to say and be honest that had problems from the beginning with software and portal.
Those were resolved...but here comes the but!
I'm lucky if the system with the kinect works 20% of the time.
I've asked quite a few times for how to videos to help the people like myself who are not scripters or coders to be available.
I think the whole set up is not for the general public who would be your main investors in the long run. (Please correct me if I'm wrong)
I havnt a clue if this new hub which costs an arm and a leg, a weeks wages for us mere mortals earn, is a replacement for the insteon hub I already have, do I need it, wots the difference.
Will someone please talk to the likes of us (out of the box, working gadgets that work) in layman terms. Will you please concentrate now on the real "how to" and not adding and taking a week (sorry, I mean months in coming out with the new danfangled hub)
Dissatisfied customer
Tony
P.s you wanted feedback, so this is my honest opinion.

My opinion.... Your system looks A class BUT only works for the professional
Ease of use .... 3 out of 10
Looks..... 8 out of 10
How to..... 2 out of 10
For newbies.... 0 out of 10
Rant over or am I justified? Forum members?
2/26/2015
Topic:
Wonderful....but

tony john
tony john
So what your saying is that I still need the insteon hub?
And what exactly is the timeframe on the video tutorials?
Think most would agree that they are over due.
Are we looking at days, weeks or months?
Sorry to be so precise, but people have a different concept on time, e.g days are weeks, weeks are months!
I think the ease of use of what you have already established (don't get me wrong, I think what you have done Chris is so far beyond what others e.g homey, cubic, and ubi is far advanced although I believe that cubic is hot on your tail!) is more important than any progress. Let us all be happy with what we got before you move on to other advancements. Would it be possible to have an input from other forum members on this please or tell me to be quiet!
3/9/2015
Topic:
Hub sort of sorted...what about the videos?

tony john
tony john
Hi Chris, any chance of the video tutorials you've seemed to promise forever?
What people are looking for is out of the box working castle os, but alternatively I think we can only accept videos "how to".
Also you've talked of being in talks with Amazon echo, I got to say that I have one and that the ability of it to listen and answer questions far out does the kinnect in my humble opinion. Hope there is an API on the way!
The only thing it doesn't do at the moment is integrate with home automation, which I think will be the next thing on its list.
Please hurry up and sort the videos out, because I'm now losing interest and very dissapointed with my limited skills and what I can do with castle os.
I've been a fan of your system for about a year now and hopefully you will help your customers and supporters out.
Regards Tony
3/30/2015
Topic:
Wonderful....but

tony john
tony john
Hi Karen, I've got to be perfectly honest with you....I agree!
Initially Chris got me up and running, and I've spent hundreds of pounds on this system with the castle software, nuc PC, kinect, insteon devices x 4. And the system just doesn't work at the level promised, also on the list of going to be done very soon was the hiw to videos!
No sign of those for months now.
I bought an Amazon echo, although at the moment I can't automate with it, the microphone blows the kinnect out of the water, if it does not understand any of your speach then you have the option using the app to correct it.
Over all I have to say castle os is NOT user friendly. That is my opinion, also workability it lacks as the kinnect hardly picks up on commands never mind any name you give it, and believe me I've tried dozens!
Very dissapointed customer.
You (Chris, castle os) need to get the basics right before you move on to the likes of the "hub"
And all its promises.
If it's not user friendly and hardly works at best of times then if this is not addressed then your customers and future customers will dry up.
That's my honest feedback and constructive criticism.
Tony
4/9/2015
Topic:
Dissapointed

tony john
tony john
I have been using castle os for some time now and I have to say I am generally dissapointed with the system.
Promises of video's that we have been said to be a priority never materialising.
Spent a good part of £1000 in setting up software and insteon, kinect products to see them work at around 20%.
Changed the name of device so many times, to no avail.
It sporadically spews out things like "timer set for" "the weather is". And just sounds notifications now and again even when your not in the room.
My Amazon echo is blowing castle os out of the water at the moment....
Can now connect to hue bulbs and wemo too!
Thinking of selling all my other bits and bobs (insteon devices, kinect) and going down the semi route unless there's an incredible change in castle os.
Very very very dissapointed in this product, I wish Chris that you would of spent more time on it before put into service.
Very unhappy customer.
Tony
4/9/2015
Topic:
Dissapointed

tony john
tony john
*wemo route (Amazon echo)
8/7/2015
Topic:
Video tutorials

tony john
tony john
How dissapointed I am with castle os, and the promise of many many months ago of video tutorials.
I am now thinking of changing over to homeseer as their system looks a lot easier.
It's all very well having the super duper new hub, but ordinary people like me who have been there from the start wanted a bog standered lay mans termed instructions.
Would like to know how other people feel, or is it just me?
If it just me then I'll merrily just shut up and quietly depart and not be seen again!
😔