CASTLEOS FORUM

spiv

all messages by user

7/15/2013
Topic:
How To Setup the Core Service

Robert Spivack
Robert Spivack
Have you considered adding a test or demo mode that allows the program to be used without an actual controller being connected? I realize it would not be able to actually do anything, but this would make it easier to evaluate the user interface and functionality hands-on.

Any plans to support the ISy99x Insteon compatible controllers? These appear to be widely used in many Insteon installations. Personally, I'm still trying to choose whether to use the iSy99X controller, Insteon Hub, or Insteon PLM. Besides cost and functionality, part of the decision process is looking at the matrix of front-end and control software choices available for each type of control hardware. Some people swear by the iSy99x hardware, while others are recommending running sw on a Mac (Indigo) with a Insteon USB PLM. (Until I came across your site, the idea of a hockey-puck sized Mac mini running as a "control appliance" seemed more appealing than leaving a PC turned on 24x7 as a controller.)

Since I'm looking at the bigger picture of whole-house automation, which in my own definition includes lighting, home security, general automation, HVAC, and home theatre/AV control) it's really hard right now to find one solution that can grow into everything with a unified User Interface across computers (or any web device), iPad, and iPhone.

I've started with home theatre/AV and am happy so far with Roomie remote and Insteon hardware switches/dimmers, but haven't yet chosen the controller for Insteon and the additional software for it.