CASTLEOS FORUM

k3ttle

all messages by user

8/29/2017
Topic:
General Installation Issues

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Hi, loving the platform it looks sweet. But I am having all sorts of issues.

Does it support a Aotec Z-Stick Gen5? I could not it get it to work with mine. It appears to see the COM port, but I could not get devices to remove or join the z-wave network. I also have an insteon RF interface I hadn't tried yet I hope will work. Or do you only support the PLM USB wired modem?

So I tried to uninstall/reinstall, as I could not change the Adminstrator password for some reason. Then things got worse. Now I can't open the installation once it's complete re-running through the install. So now it doesn't come up at all in the Web GUI. So I seem to have mucked it up pretty good. But then again I wasn't having much luck getting it to pickup my devices or let me do anything.

Running Windows 10x64 Pro on 4th gen i5 16GB of RAM, so I don't think system resources are an issue. But is my Z-Stick not compatible? Thanks man this looks like an awesome project. I played with Axial Control (formerly InControl) and there software is OK but not great, and does not support nearly as many protocols. Indigo Domotics does but ugh, Mac bleh.

Any advice much appreciated! Or maybe a link to a thread that already answers these issues is good, but I tried the search and literally go no results for any search so I don't know if search is just broken or if I just had bad search attempts. Anyways, thanks. Saw the hint about the update soon and the big surprise. Can't wait, I really want to make a custom little project at home with my PC smile
9/3/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Hmmm yah I was wondering about that. Before finding Castle OS, I was playing with Axial Control as it was mentioned on the Z-Stick site as compatible software. Although I did disable the InControl (Axial) Z-Wave service from starting, perhaps having it installed is still causing issues. Also, I'm wondering if having previously failed Castle OS installs could also be causing issues. I tried to scrub the registry between installs/uninstalls with CCleaner and Revo Uninstaller, but still, seems like there are lingering remnants when I reinstall. At least that is my impression. However I don't know that for a fact. Just a lot of little quirks. When the installer runs sometimes i have to move the window around because the installer window goes blank white, and it first I thought it was frozen but then turned out I just had to click on the title bar and move it around on the screen and it would refresh. Who knows these may all be issues related to existing other softwares I have. Once I get them cleaned off, I might need your help to see if we can get it installed successfully.
9/4/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Ok so I tried installing it on fresh install of windows 7 on a spare core 2 duo desktop I had laying around. Same issues. Can't change the admin password from password1234 if I am logged in as the admin. I get an error every time. First time I tried to change the admin pass it said I couldn't use Admin or Administrator for the username. Ok, so can you not ever change the admin pass? If so that would be a huge vulnerability.

Ok so I changed the username and put in a password, well that doesn't change the admin pass, that created a different user. So I logged in as that user to see what kind of issues I might encounter. All was fine, but then all of the sudden it boots you out of that user, and then you can no longer log back in. You log back as admin with the default pass (as that is all you can do now) and try to change the other user account password. Can't do it, it just errors.

And this was the exact same behavior I had on my main Windows 10 box where I originally tried to install it. This was all just in the preliminary phase, where I make sure I can log in and change passwords and ensure that all those features are working. Because I sure don't want to try building all this automation and then getting locked out of the platform. So now both attempts to run Castle, I can't even get passed the initial important steps of changing the default admin pass, creating other users, and admining those other user accounts. So that is big issue number one.
9/4/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Then the other thing I couldn't figure out, is how the heck to manage my z-wave network with the software. I chose the COM port that my Z-Stick took, (COM3 on my windows seven box) and click save. Then I click the enable button and it goes green, and when I go to another section and come back, it still shows enabled. Yet when I try to first remove my z-wave devices from their previous network, and then try to add them, I get no confirmation from the software whether any devices were removed or added. I have a z-wave door sensor (aotec) and Jasco or GE Z-wave lamp module. And I don't seem to be able to control them at all. And I had this same exact experience on my main windows 10 box and my test Windows 7 box.
9/4/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
And also (LOL) I bought a cheap insteon hub and a couple insteon LED bulbs to play with, and I was trying to add the Hub to Castle and could not seem to accomplish that either.

From what I have read, I am hoping to be able to have a good mix of insteon and z-wave devices. Or UPB. I want to have as many devices go over the power-line as possible, with a handful of outlying wireless devices (and only ones that I have no way to get a wire to). I like UPB, but insteon was appealling to me since they combine powerline and RF signal technologies. So to me that is the way to go. Just like it's better to run hardwires to your wifi AP's instead of running them as a mesh. Wired AP's all the way, and the same goes for automation devices! Big Grin
9/11/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hi Tea, this is all very confusing to me. You should be getting the behavior that you would expect, not this. All in all it seems maybe the configuration file is not saving? Or not loading? I'd be happy to do a remote troubleshoot with you later this evening if you are free.

Thanks, Chris

Yah I have been so swamped I haven't had time to get back into it, but I wonder if my installer is corrupted. I am going to try that first and let you know. Seems most likely being that it has done the same thing on two completely different windows installs.
9/11/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
I actually have seen a corrupted installer from a bad download once, and it failed the install. If the install succeeds, it's likely not corrupted.

However after I posted the above reply, I noticed in another post you mentioned it was using port 8080. That points to a conflict on port 80, which also could cause the behavior you're seeing...

Yeah I was wondering, because after failed install, then re-install, it wanted to use port 7756 instead. I have Plex and Subsonic running on my main machine but Plex uses port 32400 and my subsonic I forced to 10040 so it would work over my ISP, so I don't think I have any web server apps running on 80 that I am aware of. I am playing with Tonido cloud, but it is on port 10001 unless it also uses 80 in the background.

BUT like I said, it displayed the EXACT same behavior on my clean installed box with Windows 7 vs my Windows 10 with all these different app servers running. SO therefor I highly suspect my downloaded installer is to blame. Going to try to download and again and see, if that doesn't get me there then hopefully we both have time to try a remote session at some point this week. Thanks!
9/11/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
So when I download the file, it adds %20 where there would be spaces between words in the EXE file. I have tried to clean this up by just putting the spaces instead, and also by just deleting the %20 and not adding spaces. Not sure if the filename matters to the actual install process or not. So anyways, after I re-downloaded the installer and copied it to my C drive and deleted the %20 with no spaces added back in the exe filename. Installed it with no issues, so it seems. But when I open the shortcut to Castle OS, it opens Edge browser and gives me this error:

Application with ID {9191b541-4140-439e-8d9e-0ae3d52eb9ab} is not registered with UltiDev Cassini Web Server.

BTW here is the URL to my Castle OS instance, not sure if this is correct either, but this is where the icon takes me:
http://localhost:7756/GoToApplication.aspx/9191B541-4140-439E-8D9E-0AE3D52EB9AB,80,49177,8080/
9/11/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Also, I did some googling to see how to check if anything is running on port 80 using this:

C:\> netstat -a -b

And do not see anything running on port 80, so not sure why it did install to that port. Hopefully that port can be changed, since a lot of ISP's block ports below 800 by default these days. So I would prefer to run it on port 11080 or something anyways for the http part if possible.
9/11/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Usually between 5 and 7 PM AZ time which is Mountain TIme with no DST, maybe tomorrow would work if that works for you, or another night. Usually I work 8 to 5 but sometimes go later depending on the day. Or we can work out another time if evenings are bad. Let me know. Thanks for the help, its probably something silly on my machine causing it, but it would be cool to at least get it off the ground to try out. Thanks again!
9/12/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Ok great sounds good. Thanks again!
9/12/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Sweet got home a little early today, so I am home whenever you have time, message me. Let me know if you need any of my contact info, and I will look out for your reply here. Thanks!
9/12/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Ok I I have the TV client running whenever you are ready
9/14/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
So I tried it in the WIndows 7 x86 vm I had setup already for testing, clean install, and it does the same exact behavior as it does on my other two machines I tried already. It won't even let me add a user account or change the admin pass either.

Did you get that new stable version pushed up to the site yet? I was trying your beta installer I think. Weird that it would have he same issues though.

I opened that utildev app and all the applications were of a green status, so seems like it was installed properly but I am not sure.
9/14/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
Hey sorry was called away from the keyboard, was not expecting such a fast reply. I am back if you still around smile
9/14/2017
Topic:

Tea Kettle
Tea Kettle
OK I am launching the tv app