LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Disappearing Configuration file(S)! Messages in this topic - RSS

Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/10/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Well, for the second time now, I have had the COS system fail to load, shows service is running in services window, but "error loading core system" error on screen.
Configuration file is in the directory, showing the correct file size, backup and backup 2 both present and the same size as well, but when I open the Configuration file, it is blank! Backup is blank too, backup 2 is OK but doesn't automatically recover to the system.
I delete Configuration.xml and copy ...backup2 to its name and all is good.
This time the error was preceded by a power outage which (as many storm-related outages) may have been an unclean outage.

Your thoughts?

KM
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/10/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Was this with the current version of CastleOS?
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/10/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/10/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
And you're sure it was the same version when this occurred, and it wasn't updated since (or in the process of updating when this happened)?
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/10/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Unless you have more than one version with a build date of 1/4/2017, I definitely recall seeing that date when checking latest version the other day, this event occurred in the middle of the night last, just now recovered the system minutes ago.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/10/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
It didn't happen to leave behind files ending in .new did it?
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/10/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
No, but as I change the view of the folder, I can now see the configuration files all seeming to be syncing togther...
Are you in my system?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/10/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Nope, couldn't dot hat if I wanted to. That's just the new behavior of the save feature, which was a fix to that issue. Which is why I was asking about the version, but what you saw literally shouldn't be possible with the latest two releases.
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/10/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
huh, and yet there it was...
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/10/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
I'll continue to think about it. Checking the code there isn't a path that I see that could currently end up with that result. What would do it is if you were running the version prior to this, it auto updated overnight and in the process had the issue come up. If it happens again, can you please put the corrupted files aside for me to run a test on? I can manually create tests for various issues, but not that specific corruption (in terms of figuring out why it didn't auto-restore from backup2).
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/10/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
I believe I kept the last one, where would you like me to send it, and how?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/11/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
You can just upload it here. Whatever is in the binary will be preserved - or not.
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/11/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Well, I would, but even though the file properties state it is 23,118 bytes in size, there is nothing to copy/paste, drag and drop the file yields nothing here, there is nothing to send...
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/11/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
trying to attach it....

0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/11/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Thanks, that worked.
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/11/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Let me know what you find, just curious...
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/11/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
I'm going to test this with the auto restore function, to see why it may not have used the Backup2 without your manual intervention. Why this file was created in the first place I won't be able to test, and unless it happens again, I'm going to assume is an old version.

That's because the new version is no longer using the same write mechanism. We created a transaction that creates a new file rather than overwrite the old, which is what you noticed happening in the folder.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/16/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Just wanted to confirm that using this corrupted file the new code detected it, ignored it, and recovered from one of the backup files.

So that combined with the missing files means I can only assume this new code wasn't running when this happened, and it was the version prior.

Thanks!
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/21/2017
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
Well, I just had a minor incident when the wife was vacuuming and an electric room heater was running, the CB tripped in the living room, and COS did not run my "Sunset Lights On" event. Checked the system - would not load. Checked the config files, both Configuration.xml and configuration.backup.xml are blank, and configuration.backup2.xml (which is OK) did not restore the other(s) Just like last time!
Whaaaaa?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/21/2017
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Can you send me the blank files? I want to run that through the test sequence...
0 link