LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Thermostat / Climate Control Questions Messages in this topic - RSS

Eric F
Eric F

12/5/2016
Eric F
Eric F
Hi there,

I finally got around to getting a Z-Wave Thermostat, and was looking for the best way to set up pre-programmed schedules. I did not see anything like this on the climate page (nor the climate tab of the portal page), so I assume the best way is going to be Events...

1) Now when setting up these thermostat Events, are there any "best practices" or "lessons learned" that anyone would be willing to share? I'm sure I'll be able to figure things out, but learning from those who've done this before seems like the smart way to go.

2) One specific question I have is, what are each of the different "Modes" listed in the climate control supposed to signify/which should I use on my events? For instance, I see "Cool", "Heat", "Auto", "Program Auto", "Program Heat", "Program Cool", and "CaslteOS"... I don't really know the differences, or when each should apply.

3) And just to verify, "Heat Setpoint" is more or less the Lowest I want the temp to go (any lower and the heat would turn on until back to that setpoint temp), and "Cool Setpoint" is the Highest I want the temp to go (any higher and the A/C turns on until back to the setpoint temp), is that a correct understanding?

Thanks!
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

12/26/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Eric! Just to confirm...

2) Just use Cool, Heat, Auto, Off. The "program..." uses the schedule programmed into the thermostat itself.

3) This is correct, though there is an buffer. Usually it's 2 degrees, so if your heat setpoint is 70 degrees, it will turn on at 68. If your cool setpoint is 70 degrees, it will turn on at 70. If you are in Auto mode, you want want at least a degree between them. So if in auto the cool setpoint is 70 and the heat setpoint is 68, it means it will heat up to 68 and cool down to 70 as needed.
0 link