LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeCastleHUB

Information, FAQs, Q&As, and everything else related to the CastleHUB can be found here

Reinstalling Windows on your CastleOS Hub Messages in this topic - RSS

Britt Johnston
Britt Johnston

10/8/2016
Britt Johnston
Britt Johnston
Windows 10 Anniversary Update would not install on the existing CastleHUB 32GB SSD that came with the unit I purchased so I used an old 80GB SSD that I had (you can buy them new for about $40). To install, shutdown, remove the cover, slip the SSD in the slot at the top and use the screw (taped to the top of the cover) to secure the SSD. After a backup, I removed the license key from CastleOS, booted into USB media with the latest Windows 10 Home software on it, reinstalled Windows 10 on the new SSD (windows activated automatically), and reinstalled the original license key into CastleOS (Menu->About CastleOS) - smooth process (see another Forum post for details on how to move your configuration if needed). Once done you can reformat the original 32GB SSD and use it to store a backup.

I had one hardware issue after the install, the driver for USB2.0-CSW was not automatically installed, from support.windows.com the suggested location for the driver in question was http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Langid=1&PNid=15&PFid=25&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

Thought I would share.

Britt...
+1 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

10/9/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Thanks Britt! In theory, 32 GB is enough for the update. But the margin is so small if you add anything to the system, or the system doesn't automatically clean itself, the update will fail. One thing others can try is manually running Disk Cleanup. This is usually enough to clear up space.

Also, I should note, that in addition to the SSD/HDD slot on the top, the system drive is installed on the mSSD slot on underneath it (on the flip side of the circuit board). That can also be manually upgraded if so desired.

Thanks!

-Chris
0 link
Britt Johnston
Britt Johnston

10/9/2016
Britt Johnston
Britt Johnston
BTW, change the computer name before you put in the license key the first time, otherwise you need to deactivate and reenter the key.
0 link