LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Kwikset Kevo Lock support and Wink support Messages in this topic - RSS

polarice
polarice

9/21/2016
polarice
polarice
Trying to determine the best home automation solution for me as I'm delving into this. I have a lot of X10 switches and modules to leverage thus have purchased an Insteon PLM to be the communication device back to the X10 protocol. I have some new Smoke/CO detectors which are Wink enabled. I have a Kevo Bluetooth lock.

My plan is to install Castle OS on a laptop with Bluetooth capabilities to test Castle OS with the devices I already own. If it can talk to everthing, I will either buy full blown version or the Castle Hub.

My questions are:
1) Does Castle OS support Wink compatible devices directly, or will a Wink hub be required?
2) Can Castle OS talk directly to Kevo locks? or is the Kevo bridge required? Another thread hints at direct communication with the Kevo lock which would push Castle OS over the top as the best choice for home automation for my needs. Specifically, being able to ensure the door is locked through the iPhone app.
3) By connecting the Insteon PLM to the laptop that I'm going to install Castle OS on, will Castle OS be able to communicate with any X10 module/switch?
4) With the pending "Google Home" coming out soon, is support for this Amazon Echo challenger being investigated (or even better, already being planned)?

TIA
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/21/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hey Polarice!

There are some caveats to the questions your asking. Let me go by number:

1) That depends on the specific device. Most are supported, but not all. I would only be able to confirm on a device by device level.
2) Kevo doesn't currently have an API to allow us to talk to it. There is not reason it won't be supported once they release the feature. But until they do, it's not possible.
3) Yes that is correct, and this is the preferred upgrade path, so you can start adding INSTEON devices to your existing X10 system.
4) Yes it's being investigated. Our goal is to have a plugin for every voice interface/personal assistant. A couple are in development now.

Thanks!!

-Chris
0 link