LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

Somfy ZRTSI Z-Wave to RTS Messages in this topic - RSS

Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

8/17/2016
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
I don't see it listed in any of the usual spots as supported on unsupported; does CastleOS support the Somfy ZRTSI Z-Wave to RTS converter?

If not, what other Somfy RF control options are supported? (The listed "Z-Wave to Digital Motor Interface" won't work because the Somfy motors will be outside of the house.)

Thanks,

-Scott
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

8/25/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hey Scott, looking at the paperwork on that I think it will work the same as the DMI. Generally, they just translate on/off/dim commands to motor commands internally. One thing that is unique is it handles multiple channels (motors) as far as I can tell, so it might need the multi-channel feature that's part of CastleOS 2.0.
0 link
Tommy Long
Tommy Long

8/31/2016
Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I don't know if this helps, but I've been researching Bali Blinds and they now have what they call "Autoview" which uses Zwave plus based motors from Somfy.
0 link
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

9/4/2016
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
I decided to go the "safe" route and picked up an Insteon Somfy RF Drape Control Kit, which is just an I/O Linc wired to a Somfy transmitter. Seems like a pretty bulletproof (if ugly) solution.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/6/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
I'll be honest, I didn't even know that existed! Let me know how it works and if we need to tweak the UI at all. I think you should be all set just selecting IO Linc as the device model and enabling dimming.
0 link
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

9/13/2016
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
Well, no luck so far. CastleOS appears to be communicating with the I/Olinc:

Insteon Received: 02 62 3D CD AF 0F 11 FF 06
CMD Sent: 02 62 3D CD AF 0F 11 FF
CMD Match (2nd): 02 62 3D CD AF 0F 11 FF
Insteon Received: 02 50 3D CD AF 34 7B 57 AB 11 FF

But no action from the attached transmitter. I know the transmitter works because it closes the drapes when first plugged in.

This is my first time working with the I/O linc, so I will probably need to hook up a simple low-voltage test device to see if the Open/Close state is changing.

BTW, enabling "Dimmable" doesn't appear to make any difference; either way, it just shows up with an On/Off switch in CastleOS.

-Scott
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/13/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
It does look like comms are good. Two possibilities: it's not fully linked, so it's rejecting the command. Try manually doing the two way link. Second, check the momentary mode and any other settings that came with that setup. It may be that the command is being translated and forwarded in a way that the Somfy doesn't expect.

Regarding the GUI, I'm pretty sure I knew what that is a soon as you said it, and will fix the GUI today. Can you send me a copy of your configuration.xml file so I can double check the IO linc's device profile?

Thanks!!
0 link
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

9/13/2016
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
I did manually link it with the Insteon controller (they weren't communicating in the first location I tried, had to move it).

According to the quick-start guide, the IO Linc needs to be in latching mode rather than momentary because latching "is the mode the I/O Linc must be in to correctly operation your Somfy drapes."

Configuration.xml attached.

Thanks!

-Scott

Attachments:
Configuration.xml
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/13/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
What's the device name for this one?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/13/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Also, if you manually press the set button on the IO Linc, does it actuate the motor?
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/13/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Also, just to confirm, when you manually linked it, you did it both ways? CastleOS > Device, and Device > CastleOS?
0 link
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

9/13/2016
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
TIL: Linking is NOT bi-directional! I just linked CastleOS > Device, and that fixed it, so thanks for the tip!

The device name in the xml is Drapes/Office.

-Scott
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/13/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
OK good to hear, glad it was something simple! smile

Also I took care of the dimmer bug, now when you are adding an IO Linc it will enable dimmer features based on the drop down selection. (Yes, it used to do this too, but not in the new UI design.)
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

9/13/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
After the next beta release, if you edit the device and save, it should update it to show the dimmer options.
0 link
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

9/13/2016
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
Also, just a couple notes for anyone else who goes down this path:
1) Leave the green "COM" wire disconnected at first, until you've paired the Somfy controller to your motor(s). THEN connect it.
2) Only engine version i1 works; i2/i2CS won't connect. (This may be true of all I/O Lincs, even though they're supposed to be i2CS).
3) The Somfy RF transmitter is surprisingly strong; I was able to put it on a different floor, inside a bookcase, and reception is no problem.
4) You'll see forum complaints about this device chewing through batteries, and ways to "hack" a permanent power solution; ignore those, they now come out of the box with power provided from the I/O Linc to the Somfy controller, so no batteries needed.

-Scott
+1 link
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman

9/13/2016
Scott Goffman
Scott Goffman
Great, thanks for the help Chris!
0 link
Tommy Long
Tommy Long

10/8/2016
Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I finally got the Autoview based motorized shades in and tried them out. These are ZWave+ devices. It works!!
I followed the Autoview instructions for replacing a lost remote with a new remote but substituted the AeotecGen5-USB/CastleOS as the new remote.
The motorized shade shows up in CastleOS as a dimmer.
The ON opens the shade, OFF closes the shade.
Dimmer percentage works too. It is the percentage the shade opens.
Occasionally, the battery level shows up as well.

Chris, I did notice one issue. If I set the shade to a certain percentage, or even ON as 100%, afterwards the GUI shows a different percentage.
What appears to be happening is that the shade moves and when it finishes it reports the percentage in hex instead of decimal, and CastleOS displays the hex value in the GUI. For example, if I set the shade to 55% (I see this in the log as updated status to 55%) and ~10sec later I see in the log that it updated status to 37. 37(hex) is 55(decimal). The GUI shows the shade as set to 37%.

Tommy
edited by TommyLong on 10/8/2016
+1 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

10/8/2016
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Thanks Tommy! Regarding the potential bug, I ask that you retest with the beta that's coming tonight to see if it's still there. Somethings changed that could affect it.

Also, we are adding the feature to change the button from "on/off" to "opn/cld" by changing it from a regular switch to a blind/shade in Edit Device.
0 link
Tommy Long
Tommy Long

10/10/2016
Tommy Long
Tommy Long
I tried the latest Beta. No Change. I set to 50%, but after the shade finished moving to the new position, GUI shows 38% or 40% depending on which GUI menu I'm on.
0 link
Tommy Long
Tommy Long

10/16/2016
Tommy Long
Tommy Long
Beta 1.3.3075 still has this problem. Its a simple fix. Have the GUI convert from hex to decimal when displaying the dimming percentage.
0 link