LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeCastleHUB

Information, FAQs, Q&As, and everything else related to the CastleHUB can be found here

Smart Switches, LEDs, and No Neutrals Messages in this topic - RSS

videobear
videobear

12/9/2015
videobear
videobear
I am running into a problem with neutral wires. Or more precisely, the lack of them. My older home has many switches that don't have neutrals in the switch box. Running new wiring from the breaker panel to the switch boxes may prove to be too costly. Most smart switches made to control LED/CFL lights require a neutral wire!

I found a possible solution. Lutron Caseta switches do NOT require a neutral, although they cost a little more than GE/Jasco switches. However, they don't use the Z-wave protocol, but their own Clear Connect protocol. So here's my question: Will the HUB talk to them?
0 link
Christopher Gross
Christopher Gross

12/9/2015
Just my two sence,
INSTEON also makes a 2 wire swichlinc. The thing with that is you can't run an led bulb on them. They actually drawl their power through the bulb filament. So when the bulb looks like it's off the switch is putting a very small amount of power through it to power the switch. I found this out the hard way. I have a 4 wire circuit in my house and the builders cheated on the wiring so I didn't have a usable neutral wire in the last switch box. Thing is the 2 wire switchlinc needs to be wired to a load and... I didn't have a load wire there either. I ended up running a new wire to the switch box to power the switchlinc. So... As long as you don't want to run led bulbs the. The 2 wire switchlinc would work for you. The hub handles INSTEON very well also and those switches talk in rf and over the actual wires of the house making them very reliable.
Chris ( not cos Chris ) lol
+1 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

12/9/2015
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
You shouldn't need to wire back to the panel, just to the light fixture box. You can pick up the neutral there and replace the existing two-wire (Romex, I hope) with three-wire (+ground since you are replacing it!). That will give you line in, (black typically) switched out (red) and the white neutral.
+1 link
videobear
videobear

12/9/2015
videobear
videobear
Thanks! I know about neutrals, and how most switches that don't need them also won't work with LEDs. What I need to know is, can the HUB speak to Lutron Caseta switches?
0 link
Christopher Gross
Christopher Gross

12/10/2015
Hey,
I don't see that in the protocols in cos as being supported. Cos Chris will have to answer that question.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

12/12/2015
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
videobear wrote:
Thanks! I know about neutrals, and how most switches that don't need them also won't work with LEDs. What I need to know is, can the HUB speak to Lutron Caseta switches?

Not yet, but it's on our dev plan for early 2016. I think that's the best choice for you...
0 link