LOGIN  |  REGISTER
Smart Living Made Brilliant!
CASTLEOS FORUM

HomeGeneral Support

The general support forum topic for CastleOS - ask questions, get help, and more

remote hub Messages in this topic - RSS

kent sager
kent sager

1/1/2018
kent sager
kent sager
I have installed CastleOS in my house and and I am liking it. My shop is a quarter mile from my house I have Ethernet between my shop and house. I would like to alarm and remotely control the heat in my shop. How cool will it be to turn on the heat before I go hang out in the shop on the weekend. I can 1. install another CastleOS in my shop? 2. find a zwave over ethernnet controller and if CastleOS supports it, run two controllers on a single instance of CastleOS. 3. Come up with a better idea? .Any thoughts ????
edited by kent@kci.net on 1/1/2018
0 link
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews

1/3/2018
Kevin Mathews
Kevin Mathews
kent sager wrote:
I have installed CastleOS in my house and and I am liking it. My shop is a quarter mile from my house I have Ethernet between my shop and house. I would like to alarm and remotely control the heat in my shop. How cool will it be to turn on the heat before I go hang out in the shop on the weekend. I can 1. install another CastleOS in my shop? 2. find a zwave over ethernnet controller and if CastleOS supports it, run two controllers on a single instance of CastleOS. 3. Come up with a better idea? .Any thoughts ????

I don' t know about you but if it were MY remote shop, the first thing I would put on that Ethernet cable would be an AP so I could stream my music! Once that's installed, you can use the Ecobee, Nest or other WiFi t-stat (not all will work with COS) t-stat, and you could use WiFi devices for lighting etc. If that's not a fit, there should be little problem using two Z-Wave hubs, or just about any other protocol - my setup is currently all Insteon.
0 link
kent sager
kent sager

1/3/2018
kent sager
kent sager
Kevin Mathews wrote:
kent sager wrote:

I don' t know about you but if it were MY remote shop, the first thing I would put on that Ethernet cable would be an AP so I could stream my music! Once that's installed, you can use the Ecobee, Nest or other WiFi t-stat (not all will work with COS) t-stat, and you could use WiFi devices for lighting etc. If that's not a fit, there should be little problem using two Z-Wave hubs, or just about any other protocol - my setup is currently all Insteon.

I already have streaming music piped to the shop smile I have been looking on the web (with no luck so far) for an Ethernet to zwave bridge so I can remote a zwave controller. I looked at a usb over Ethernet but saw mixed reviews on performance. I do not know how COS will deal with two zwave controllers but I am willing to try. I will also explore a different technology at the remote site I was only looking at a zwave solution.
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/3/2018
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
Hi Kent, I think this is what you are looking for, assuming you are looking for a pure ethernet Z-Wave interface and not simply using CastleOS as such. This device isn't supported in the current beta, but it will be later this month.

Likewise two controllers will be supported. The infrastructure is there in the current version but it hasn't been enabled yet.

Please feel free to ask questions and I'll clarify where I can!

Thanks!!!

-Chris
0 link
kent sager
kent sager

1/5/2018
kent sager
kent sager
There was no link in the message. Please give me device name or a link.
Thanks.
Kent

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:
Hi Kent, I think this is what you are looking for, assuming you are looking for a pure ethernet Z-Wave interface and not simply using CastleOS as such. This device isn't supported in the current beta, but it will be later this month.

Likewise two controllers will be supported. The infrastructure is there in the current version but it hasn't been enabled yet.

Thanks!!!

-Chris
0 link
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator

1/5/2018
Chris Cicchitelli
Chris Cicchitelli
Administrator
kent sager wrote:
There was no link in the message. Please give me device name or a link.
Thanks.
Kent

Chris Cicchitelli wrote:

Thanks!!!

-Chris

Sorry, it's there, but can be hard to see on some screens. Click here.
0 link